Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Rev3

The Rev3 Half Ironman, held last weekend at Quassy Amusement Park in the hills of CT, is by far the most difficult half I have ever raced. You are either going up a hill or down a hill on the bike and run, and both become painful after a few hours. The last mile of the race is uphill, and it was at that point that I decided the race organizers are just mean. It was hot and it was humid, and I loved every minute of it. I have long since ignored the physical pain of training and racing, since it is, after all, self-induced and so should not be fretted over, and try to focus on the fact that the more I work my body, the stronger and leaner it becomes. On Monday morning my scale tipped down a couple pounds and I felt a little more bad-ass than I had on Sunday morning, and so the hours of hill climbing was all worth it.

It was also the first race I have ever run where I had no family there to cheer me on. I thought about this a few times during the bike, and realized how fortunate I have been in my life to have people to care enough to come watch these long races where you get to glimpse your athlete for a few minutes at transition and then spend hours in the hot sun (or rain!). Thanks Mom, Dad, Erik and Molly (my sister-in-law who cheered me on at the Ironman for nearly 12 hours). I hope Alex and Izzy will find themselves one day, long into their middle age, where they are racing alone and realize it is the first time to be without a cheering squad and be thankful for the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment