Thursday, October 6, 2011

Value of the Week: Courage

The value of the week this week is courage. It is one of the children's favorites. They love to hear stories of how they find the courage to do this and that, and really can't get enough of it. But this week, we are talking about courage in terms of honesty, which was last week's value. Really, we are talking about character, and how it takes courage to build it.

Milk gets spilled, toys get broken and modeling clay gets embedded into the rugs. We are a house of children. There are times when I find myself getting angry about these issues. I say things like, "Who spilled the milk on the rug?" to which the guilty party honestly answers, "me", and then I lecture about not bringing milk into the living room. At three and four, you still tell the truth most of the time, because you haven't really learned to lie yet...but dishonesty is right around the corner, especially if you know you will be in trouble for telling the truth. So, I've had to work hard at staying calm. The new conversation goes, "Who spilled the milk on the rug?" and when someone says "me", I hug him or her and say "Thank you for telling the truth." Sometimes I even call Daddy, and let him praise the honest child for being honest. You really can rarely go too far in instilling values.

No comments:

Post a Comment