Friday, October 5, 2012

Postponing An Ultra

The Grindstone 100 mile race starts tonight at 6pm. I have been training all summer and fall for the race, overcoming training interruptions such as illnesses and Alex's seizures, to get into shape to tackle this monster. On Wednesday, the morning of my departure for the race, Alex woke up having seizures, the first sign that we were all getting sick. One of the many drawbacks to having small children in school is that we spend much of the school year sick. Every year I think we will be less sick, and I plan races during the school year, and yet every year I have to bow out of some of them. Erik, worried that I would be terribly disappointed, graciously offered to tend the kids all weekend and support a 100 mile run, if I felt the need to complete the race plan this weekend. Supportive spouses are very important! But, I'm not disappointed. There are ALWAYS other races. I need to be here with Alex, who takes several days to recover from his seizures, and Izzy, who is also sick and needing her Mommy. I am an ultra distance runner, but I am Mommy first. I may sneak in a rather long trail run this weekend, though. Maybe just 25 miles or so...

No comments:

Post a Comment