Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On to Arizona

So much has happened in the last two weeks, and here is a very slim recap. The Big Brad Ultra 50 Miler was BRUTAL! Only 10 people finished, which included 2 women (I was not one of them). The first woman hammered the race so hard, I am in complete awe and wonder what she eats for breakfast. When I hit mile 35, I was past the time limit for that stage and so was pulled off the 50 and entered in the 35 mile race, in which I took second, behind the woman who won the VT 100 last year. We both had gotten lost on the 50 mile course, repeatedly, and so she dropped out at 35. I barely hobbled across the line at 35, and had no intentions of going another step. Then Hurricane Sandy hit us hard, here on the CT shore. Our shoreline was crushed. Made the downpours during the Big Brad Ultra look like nothing. We were fine since we sit on 14 foot stilts. We are thankful, and respect our good fortune. Now we are headed to Ironman Arizona, most likely our last race of the season. This is Erik's first Ironman and we hope to finish, safe and sound, together. I am going into this race incredibly undertrained and will be just cruising on my happiness for simply being our there on a long course. Hopefully the legs will hold up with my good humor. Alex and Izzy will race the Ironkids one miler the day before, which is always a highlight of the weekend. Our values this week are Optimism and Determination. I believe we will need a heavy dose of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment