Monday, January 14, 2013

In Memory of Christina

Today, one of my closest friends, Christina, passed away. When Christina was about 34 weeks pregnant, she was hit by a car driven by a colleague as she crossed the entrance to the parking garage of our place of employment. As she was struck by the car, she put both hands on her stomach to protect her son, and fell backward onto her head which bled severely. She spent months in the hospital and then in rehab. Through pure determination, she made significant progress in her recovery, although she always suffered the effects of her brain damage. A few years ago, Christina was diagnosed with cancer, very likely fueled by the stress she suffered during this tremendous trauma. She battled cancer the same way she battled her brain injury, with hope and belief in a better future. Her husband, Jon, was by her side unlike anyone I have ever witnessed. He took care of her, encouraged her, protected her. At the same time, he and Christina raised their beautiful and sweet son, Connor. The year before Alex was born, I raced my first Ironman in honor of Christina and my friend and Dartmouth classmate, Lisa, who was hit by a truck while biking, an injury that caused extensive brain damage. As I ran into the water of Ironman Florida, determined to finish for my two good friends, I had no idea that a year later, I would be standing in the neonatal intensive care unit holding the tiny hand of my own son, whose brain damage would threaten his early life and change our lives forever. Not only is brain damage the leading cause of death and disability to anyone under the age of 25, it can cause a domino effect on the entire body over a lifetime. We miss Christina. Both of my children were mad about her. I took Izzy to see Christina during her last weeks, because Izzy feels such a strong connection with her. Izzy stood outside Christina's bedroom and took a long look at Christina that day, and shook her head and said, "Poor Christina." Then she gave her a big hug before we left. Christina's life, and death, will remind us to live a little bit more thankfully for every day we have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment