Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mommy School in Utah

Although we came to Utah and Colorado this spring to train and race for Team Baby Alex Foundation, this month is proving to be a tremendous educational opportunity for the kids. Before we left, we studied the important points concerning Utah and Colorado-things like poisonous snakes and spiders and what states sit on the border-and now we are living what we studied, synthesizing our studies. The downside is that I have become so crazed about snakes and spiders that I can hardly sleep, and when I ran into two dead rattlers last weekend on my run, I jumped. One of the coolest things we have done so far is to visit the local dinasour museum. We had been studying dinosaurs and watching the Nick Jr. Tv show Dino Dan, and we read about fossils and archeologists and how they go about unearthing fossils, etc. I learned a lot and fortunately Alex remembers everything because I just can't seem to retain it all. So when we visited the museum this week, Alex informed the curators all about which Dino's run as fast as horses and which had 3 toes, and basically spit out everything we had been studying. Izzy was intent on finding a T-Rex fossil at the museum, and when we did find a T-Rex footprint (so big both kids could fit inside it), she new exactly what it was and was blown away by the fact that a real, live T-Rex, her favorite, had walked on the same ground she was walking on. She talked about it all day. I have been concerned that the kids might not get as much out of the trip as I am, but the trip is proving to be good for them, thankfully. Today, Alex bit into the edge of a piece of bread and said, "Look, Mommy, I turned it into the shape of Utah". Small victories. Mommy School is exhausting and I never dreamed I would be staying home to educate my kids, but it is so incredibly rewarding. I plan to send them part time to school this fall but I'll continue with Mommy School, and maybe we will take off for another trip depending on our studies, although I think two weeks would be long enough. So, today we went to the local river bed and after viewing flash floods on the computer, we examined why flash floods happen...we are expecting terrible weather tonight so I figured we might as well understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment