Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Red Mountain 50k

The Red Mountain 50k is by far the most scenic race I've done. We started in the pitch dark, our path illuminated by headlamps. Just 50 runners, and a dog. The first half waved through the mountains of southern Utah on access roads, with views of the surrounding peaks as they turned purple in the sunrise. Hard packed red clay proved difficult footing. You didn't want to turn an ankle because there was no give to the earth. Nice hills and some descent and the a long stretch on a deserted gravel road. I had to take off the side flaps from my cap because the wind flapped them too hard against my ears. A couple hours later, as we circled the Gunlocks Reservoir, the sun beat so hard against my neck I reattached the flaps and secured it shut. Definitely recommend a full coverage run hat for desertous terrain. The race was well supported but still i could not have finished without a fully stocked camelpak, with electrolyte water and plenty Of snacks on board. The last half of the race was on country roads, traveled primarily by serious bikers, mostly on aero bars, training for the upcoming Ironman. The last 2 miles of the race was a brutal, unforgiving hilly section that seemed to extend forever, and suddenly at the top of the last hill, we turned left and were soon running through the finish shoot. My first thought, after fueling up on chocolate milk, was whether Erik was surviving the heat in the desert sun. I went out in the car and found him, finishing well, considering his body's inability to manage the heat and his recent recovery from three weeks of illness. He wasn't the happiest person last night, but he seems to be recovering. My legs are more tired than I had hoped, not a good sign for the 50 miler in three weeks. I have a lot of work to put in over the next two weeks, but it proves to be hot and I plan to train in the heart of the afternoon sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment