Thursday, April 1, 2010

Running with Alex

Today was a monumental day. Alex and I went for our first run together. Alex has been talking for weeks about how Mommy runs on a team and Matt is the coach and how he wants to run on a team when he is a big boy. And then this morning, the sun finally came out after days of relentless rain, and so Alex accompanied me on my morning walk with the dog, Teds. Alex was wearing his little crocs. He held my hand and begged me repeatedly to go for a run with him. So, we dropped Teds off at the house, and went back out. The sun was breaking through morning clouds over the ocean where we live, and the birds were singing, and it was truly a beautiful morning to be out. And so, we ran. Alex held my hand because he trips frequently and needs the support. I jogged and he moved his little feet as fast as he could. We went two blocks, stopped to catch our breath and then turned around (reluctantly, because he wanted to run on and on), and ran the two blocks home. Alex kept a running monologue of everything going on around us, telling me about the birds singing and the occasional car driving by and the presence of grass and trees. He was breathing hard at the end and I carried him up the deck stairs to the house. His face was flushed and he was all smiles. He was so proud of himself for going for a run with Mommy. We will make this our new morning ritual. This isn't my only workout for the day, but it was by far, the best run I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment