Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Vibram Five Fingers

Since reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, Erik and I have become devotees of the running barefoot movement. We are slowly training our feet and legs to adapt to running without running shoes. We don't run with naked feet, of course. We run wearing a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers. With tough rubber soles and little cuffs for each of your toes, these shoes protect your feet from rocks and glass, while giving your feet the freedom of running without padding. The transition to barefoot running does not happen overnight. There are all kinds of muscles in your feet and calves that need to be retrained. But running barefoot allows your foot to naturally find the ground, land and maneuver to provide your body support, and forces you to take shorter steps which land you toward the front of your foot (rather than striking hard on the heal). This whole process of natural running is much better for your body. Since running barefoot, the pain I had in my hips has completely disappeared from the left one and lessened significantly from the right. I am told that for people who suffer from heal spurs, running barefoot will solve their problem. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read the book, Born to Run. If there are two books you need to read in your entire life, Born to Run is number one. I grew up running trails, and went several years without running on roads for more than a quick trail connection. I have sought out trails all over the world, from the remote forests of Tunisia to the well groomed track along the Cinque Terra coast. In recent years, the lack of trails where we live has necessitated road running. We read Born to Run this winter and have begun a new search for trails in our area, which means driving an hour or more for the best runs. We bring power bars, a diluted sports drink and wear lots of bug spray. You feel so light in your Vibrams, and so far from the rest of the world in the middle of the woods, it is a good chance to reconnect with the earth and your partner. We are even tempted at times to run naked.

Oh, and the second book on your life's must read list: Jack Canfield's The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nick! Sorry for being out of touch for so long. I love your blog! And it sounds like Alex has come a long way! I've had a few milestones of my own; I dropped 65 lbs in '09 and have returned to leading a fitter/healthier lifestyle. I'm currently training for this year's Marine Corps Marine (31 Oct). On 6 June I ran in The North Face Endurance Challenge 10K trail run.

    I'm actually on the verge of buying a pair of Vibrams...I had bunion surgery in Oct '09 and I'm pretty flat-footed, so I'm not sure I'll run in them just yet. Once I finish the marathon, I'd like to move into doing tri's.

    ReplyDelete