Monday, April 13, 2015

Cedro Peak Ultra Race

This past weekend, I ran the Cedro Peak Ultra, a 45k through the Cibola Mtns southeast of Albuquerque, NM. The race was extremely challenging, and we were either going up or going down most of the race-not much flat. Some areas had beautiful pine covered trails and lovely views of the surrounding areas, and then other parts were covered in ankle crushing rocks. At times I felt I was attacking some adventure in Harry Potter, where every step up meant rolling several steps back. I could have used a flying broom. Great race overall and the other runners and organizers could not have been nicer. As I was noticing all the cranky, crying, whining, fussy kids who were there to support one parent while the other one waited and waited, I once again gave thanks that we were in the RV. My kids, who would have joined that group of fussy children had we driven there in our car, had a grand time because they had the oasis of the RV. They hiked and played lacrosse, then spent time in the RV to have snacks and lunch and get some chill time in their beds. They watched and cheered at the race, and joined me at the post-race BBQ once I finished. When the race was over and most families were melting down, my kids were in the RV loft watching Despicable Me, while Erik and I drank beers outside in the sun. Then we had a light dinner of cheese/wine, veggies and hummus while finishing our day in the park. Then off to bed. LOVE the RV.

No comments:

Post a Comment