Thursday, April 23, 2015

Sunrise Run with Alex

My dream, from long before Alex was born, was to be able to run with my children, to share the trail, the mountains, the oceans from viewpoints only seen on foot. Alex’s many health complications have clouded that dream at times, but still he and Izzy and I run, and as they get older it gets easier. Inspired by the fact that I ran through the Narrows without him, and wishing that he was able to run that far with me, Alex asked me last night if we could sneak off in secret for a sunrise run the following day. He didn’t want to tell Daddy, but imagined a scene where he and I returned from our run, tired and sweaty, to enjoy a hot breakfast just cooked by Daddy. So, of course, I had to tell Erik because the hot breakfast part might have still been sound asleep had I not done some pre-planning. And like a little alarm clock, Alex was up before sunrise, ready to go. We quietly dressed, filled a water bottle, tied our shoes and headed out. The campsite was sound asleep. We quietly jogged along the river to an old access road that led to a trail up the mountain. We followed that, chatting as we trotted along, talking about life next year and what his new school would be like and what our plans for the summer would entail. As we climbed to a good sitting place, I held onto him because the footing was difficult. And then we arrived. Just as the sun was sneaking into view, lighting up the mountain peaks all around us, we sat and watched. Borrowed time, that’s all we have. And this morning, we shared one small moment that will shape our memories for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment